My dirty little secret...
My Dirty Little Secret...
Ok lovely chickies, it’s confession time.
Yes I have a dirty little secret…
I stand before you today GUILTY of the crime of half-arsing.
Who else is guilty of buying books and then not reading them?
Oh dear, I am a repeat offender and it’s baaaaaaad!!!!
I LOVE a good book, and I am seduced into buying them time after time.
I sit them proudly on my bedside table all pretty and beautiful ready to snuggle up with and lose myself in.
It started with a small little stack keeping me company, then slowly the stack grew, book by pretty little book, like hairs on your legs over winter it snuck up on me… next thing I know, the stack had grown into a huge leaning tower of literature. – YE GODS!!!!
Fact of the matter is that if that tower fell and hit my head in the night, I’d be writing this post from the Intensive care unit in an induced coma from massive head injuries right now.
Now I suppose that if you took the tower of books at face value, I might look very learned.
But unless I have read those books by osmosis I’m in deep shit!
Some I’ve read, but LOTS are half finished – Jeez Sue!
I think I’ve been hoping that the words on the crisp clean pages would leap out during the night, somehow infuse themselves into my brain dance around in my sleeping head and seep into my memory-bank… ah the magic, the wonder.
Kind of like that yoga DVD that I own – I can’t understand why my flexibility is still crap… it’s sat next to my TV for years now AND I own a yoga mat!
Which is why I’ve made a pact with myself. No more bloody books until I’ve read the ones I’ve got.
So lovely chickies, if in the coming months, any of you happen to catch me in a book shop or browsing around book depository.com with a credit card in my hand… please slap me!
In the interests of accountability, here is the list that I will be getting through over the coming months: (don’t you judge me! )
- Seneca on Happiness, virtue and philosophy as the guide to life.
- SHY – A memoir – Sian prior
- Conversation Transformation – Ben E. Benjamin PHD
- HIGH A Party Girl’ guide to Peace. – Tara Bliss
- The Hen who dreamed she could fly – Sun-mi-hwang
- Conversations for Power and Possibility – Darlene Chrissley
- Add more –ing to your life – Gabrielle Bernstein
- Living in the Light - Shakti Gawain
- The more beautiful worlds our hearts know is possible – Charles Eisenstein
- Master the Game - Tony Robbins
- Daily Love - Mastin Kipp
- Wheat Belly – Dr William Davis
- Grain Brain – David Perimutter M.D
Here are some that I actually finished and loved, just in case you want to check them out
- The War of Art – Steven Pressfield
- Turning Pro – Steven Pressfield
- The Four Agreements – Don Miguel Ruiz
- The Alchemist – Paulo Coehlo
- Lean in – Sheryl Sandberg
- The Big Leap – Gay Hendricks
- Miracles Now. – Gabrielle Bernstein
- Blue Ocean Strategy – W. Chan Kim, Renee Mauborgne
- Daring Greatly – Brene Brown
- The Four Hour Work Week - Tim Ferris
- Wired for Life – The Mind Gardener
Righty-ho I am now off to find a cup of tea and my neglected reading glasses
And that is the end of today’s tale of chickie shame…
Thank-you for listening.
P.S. Who else has the best of intentions but their ‘following through muscle’ is not as well exercised as it should be?
Is there anything that YOU need to shine a light on and then do better at lovely chickies?
Who else is up for committing to a bit of getting on with it?
I’m not talking about massive overhauls, just about steady consistent forward action. That’s what gets you from where you are to where you want to be.
Accountability is a great big motivator, so feel free to call it out here and declare your intentions.
(You could also tell me if there are any great books that are missing from my list… I’ll be looking for some to read AFTER I get through this lot…. shhhhhh )