My 'just shut up and do it' day.
Who else has found themselves in this boat?
- Got a massive list of stuff to get done.
- Just the thought of getting started just makes you feel overwhelmed and sick.
- So rather than get started, you are spending your time dreading getting started, wasting hours doing stuff that doesn’t matter… the whole time telling yourself how useless you are for not getting the job done.
- That list is just not going away no matter how much you avoid it
Oh, and the magical words: “I’ll do it tomorrow! “… sound familiar?
You are SO not alone lovely chickies. Yep, a couple of weeks ago, that was me too, lugging around a big old useless bucket of ‘overwhelmed’.
Swamped in a sea of ‘woe is me’ (ok that’s a bit melodramatic, but it does rhyme so I’m leaving it in!)
I had run away from the world to an isolated little shack by the coast, and laid all of my work out onto a great big table ready to conquer.
HOLY SHIT that’s a lot of paper…
Seemed there was too much to do, it was too exhausting to even work out where to start.
There was no time to start anyway, because, spending time thinking about getting started was keeping me well occupied.
Not to mention coming up with stuff to do in order to avoid having to get started.
I guess that you could say I was spending a mighty long time, looking at the mountain instead of getting on with climbing it.
Yeah that was useful… NOT!
What got to me in the end was the whiny voice in my head.
I get SO bored with negative whiny self talk these days; that and the wasting of precious time.
The whiny voice finally did its dough though when it was stupid enough to interrupt my morning coffee… talk about no respect!
I think that my exact words (not that anyone else was there to hear them) were: oh Sue, FFS… enough already! Just get on with it!!!
Just shut up and do it would you?
And that my chickie friends, was when I called one…
Yep I declared a “just shut up and do it day” (patent pending)
And I started…
(for maximum re-enactment authenticity, kindly insert “eye of the tiger” background music here)
and 8 hours later,
Well I’ll BE!
Had I got some major shit done.
It was A CHICKIE MIRACLE!!!
One day turned into two, two days turned into a week.
I was on fire lovely chickies.
ok, so I may have taken it to extremes
- a shower or some personal hygiene wouldn’t have killed me
- and I’ve left a visible chickie bum sized dent on the couch
- I’m pretty sure my loved ones thought I’d been abducted by aliens.
But do you know what?
Magically, things started happening…
Blog posts got written
To do lists got smashed out of the park
My website – MUCH BETTER!
I got absolute clarity on not just where I’m going, but HOW
AND I was telling my inner mean girl to shut up like a boss.
It felt good!
(It also smelt terrible and no way was anyone ever going to kiss me…but it was worth it.)
Now that I’m back in civilisation. I clearly have to schedule in some showering time. But I’ve decided to keep my new found “shut up and get stuff done” ethos, because it’s a keeper baby!!! I’m thinking I’m going to declare one every single Monday from now on.
So lovely chickies, please humour me and take some time to ponder the following questions:
- What are YOU avoiding getting on with?
- What mountain are you staring at instead of climbing?
- Where are you getting in your own way?
- If you used that dreading and avoidance time and energy for good instead of evil, how much extra stuff could you get done?
- How much better will you feel once you’ve kicked that to do list’s arse?
- What could you do today to get back on track?
Isn’t it time that you declared your own “shut up and get stuff done day” lovely chickies?
If you do, please let me know how it goes!